Filtration System(s)

 


Hello to whomever may be reading.

I have 2 core or main classes, one being named "Water". Water is mix of both math and science circled around math (hence the name). For this term we have been discussing and learning about the chemicals in water and the filtration of the water we drink. For an FE we visited a water plant and were taken through many parts of the building. In some parts of the building, it was hard to hear but it was a very cool experience.



We were then assigned a project, building our own water filtration system! We were first required to sketch out what we want our filter to look like (provided above)--then gather the materials we needed. No two filters looked the same, everyone was very creative in the way their filter was made and what was used to create the filter. I then created a logarithmic scale comparing the TDS of Chicago's water, my water before and after filtration, along with distilled and salt water. My scales are visible below.


 We also went through my teacher, Will's scientific method. Here's mine:

Question:

How much of an effect with the filter have on the TDS levels of the dirty water?


Hypothesis

The TDS level will slightly decrease; go down about 30 digits from its original number.


Materials & Procedure: 

My materials contained 2 plastic cups, scissors, tape, a face mask, activated charcoal dust, and sliced banana peels. First, I tested the TDS of my dirty water. Secondly, I placed charcoal dust onto my face mask and into my cup. I then cut a hole into the side of my cup toward the bottom of it. Next, I placed a coffee filter into the cup. After, I put both activated charcoal dust and my sliced banana peels onto the coffee filter. Then, I taped my filter to an empty cup. I poured my dirty water into my filtered and recorded/photographed the process (provided below). Once finished, I tested the TDS of the newly filtered water.








Observations:

My very first observation was the color of my filtered water. Due to the activated charcoal, the water is visibly darker. I also noticed because the mask was a bit thick it was difficult for the water to travel through. Lastly, I noticed was that my hypothesis was wrong.


Results:

 The TDS level dropped drastically, there was about 300-digit difference within the numbers.





Sources:

 CCA-2021-1-3.pdf (chicago.gov)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mi Gaurdiana, Muñeca Pitapena

Dear B, B, and B

B-L-A-N-K